Education

Enforced Dreams and Youth

The career planning of an aam Indian youth is not a matter solely of his or her will and wishes. Such maps are sketched even before the pregnancy of the mother. The aspirations, ambitions, goals, intentions etc. are not self-ordained by the youth but possess a forceful or emotional influence in such personal and futuristic blueprint."I want my son to become an engineer," is a trivial expression commonly used in both the urban and rural settings. Even well-educated parents of this 21st century are involved in imposing their dreams on their children.   

A student's wish about choosing a stream after 10th standard can be considered an issue in the country. The choice of the student in this regard is given the lowest weightage and somehow the dream of parents, influenced by the society's competitiveness is finally enforced on them. Further, this strictly instructed habit of not saying 'no' to parents of aam Indian children do not let them to behave as our hero Bhagat Singh or argue for the future of their own lives.   

Although engineering is a flourishing and an everlasting profession with much scope attached to it. But there are about 15 lakh enrollments of students in recognized Engineering colleges in India every year, but only 20% or 3 lakh of them convert their degrees into fine and well-paid jobs. The remaining 80% with brandishing degrees earned in a span of four years, try for competitive exams like bank PO, SSC and other government exams or work as underemployed. If not to ignore the data: nearly 200 colleges are shut down every year by the respective government authorities. But yes it is true that reality is both bitter and sweet. Students passing out of few premier and prestigious institutes like various IITs are getting highly paid portfolios and the place of work is not just limited to regional boundaries. MNCs always take their best-performing employees as assets and consider them for foreign portfolios and executive lifestyles. It is about the quality or the skillfulness that helps one acquire such lavishing job. Few deserve but majority among the total 1.5 million counts remain unemployable.

This is a fate that our youth is initially experiencing right now: the disparity in the quality of education.The first text of our civilization made a thought note on such a regard: The profession was to be acquired by the child in the decision of the teacher. A thorough observation of a child was made and on the basis of the temperament of the child a study schedule was organized: the studious ones were given books to read; the active ones were given weapons either to make or to train with; the clever ones were taught to business; and the lazy ones were the creative ones who learnt to art. The stakeholders must take a note of it. They should also think about the dire need of an educational reform in the curriculum and the pedagogy, beyond a so called reform in mere criterion of state's dole to the educational institutes. However the sole responsibility is not just a matter of the government but is shared between both the state and its members. Now it's really the time when the parents should look inclusively and try to make of holistic carrier plan for their wards. It is perhaps better to see a happy child with degree in arts rather than an unhappy and frustrated engineer. And what if such certified engineer is not payed enough or is not having a sound job at hand. That is too much of trauma and emotional breakdown.And the ill-fated engineers who are frustrated, who are emotionally unsound with their degrees are the most important stakeholders of this social concern. It is always a victim who can stop this disparity, this social evil being passed on to the next generation.